The University of Trento announces the 27th cycle of the Doctoral School in “Mathematics” for the Academic Year 2011-2012, in collaboration with “Mathematic Research Centre E. De Giorgi” of the Scuola Normale Superiore di Pisa (Italy).
Selection for 7 doctoral positions in the Mathematics Doctoral Programme is announced, 5 positions of them will be assigned grants financed as follows:
- 4 grants financed by the University of Trento.
- 1 grant financed by the Fondazione Bruno Kessler related to the research topic ”Simulation Models in Epidemiology”.
Length: three years.
Official languages: Italian and English
- Mathematical Logic
- Complementary Mathematics
- Mathematical Analysis
- Mathematical Probability and Statistics
- Mathematical Physics
- Numerical Analysis
- Operations Research
- Mathematical Methods of Economics and Finance
Applications are invited from candidates, regardless of gender, age and nationality, who hold an Italian “laurea specialistica (magistrale)”, instituted in conformity with Ministerial Decree no. 509 of 3 November 1999 and subsequent amendments, a university degree of the previous regulations, or an equivalent degree obtained abroad.
Applicants who have an Italian degree must submit the degree certificate together with the list of exams and grades obtained.
Applicants holding a foreign degree not officially recognized as equivalent to the Italian “laurea”, must explicitly request recognition of equivalence in their application by including:
– degree certificate (EU citizens may present a self-declaration of the possession of a degree, according to Presidential Decree no. 445 of 28.12.2000).
– the English translation of the degree certificate (if in a different language) with exams taken, grades obtained and short description of a given academic qualification awarded by an institution located in a foreign country and belonging to an educational system different from the Italian one (i.e. Diploma Supplement, if available), signed under their own responsibility, to enable the Graduate School Committee to declare its equivalence, valid solely for the purpose of admission to the selection process.
Applications are also accepted from students who expect to complete their degree by the 14th of October 2011. They need to present, together with their application, a statement from the University Registrar’s Office declaring that the student is expected to obtain the degree by the 14th of October 2011. In such cases admission is “conditional” and applicants must be able to present the degree certificate, or a declaration that the degree has been conferred (according to Presidential Decree no. 445 of 28.12.2000 applicable only to EU citizens) to the Secretary of the Doctoral School in Mathematics (via Sommarive, 14 – I-380123 Povo (TN) within the above mentioned date.
The application form, together with the attachments, must arrive at the University of Trento no later than the 30th of September 2011 in one of the following ways:
a) on-line by signing in to http://www4.unitn.it/Apply/en/Home/Index; the application process must be successful completed by 4:00 p.m., Italian time.
b) hand-delivered to the University of Trento – Ufficio Protocollo Centrale, Via Belenzani n. 12 – 38122 Trento (ITALY) from 10:00 am to 12:00 a.m., Monday to Friday. The address on the envelope should say “Doctoral School in Mathematics – 27th cycle”;
c) by mail to the following address: Al Magnifico Rettore dell’Università degli Studi di Trento, Via Belenzani 12 – 38122 Trento (ITALY) (please write “Doctoral School in Mathematics – 27th cycle” on the envelope);
The University of Trento does not accept responsibility for mishandling of applications by mail or courier services, or for applications sent to an incorrect address.
In accordance with Art. 71 and amendments of D.P.R. no. 445 of 28 December 2000, the University of Trento may at any time seek to verify the documents sent. Candidates whose applications do not conform to the admission requirements set out in the present call may be excluded from the selection process by written notice at any time.
Applications arriving after the 30th of September 2011 will not be considered, even if sent before this date.
APPLICATION MUST INCLUDE:
Attachment 1: Photocopy of the applicant’s ID (for EU citizens) or passport, specifically the pages with the photo, personal data, the number ID of the document and the location and date it was released. No other form of identification will be accepted.
Attachment 2: Degree certificate or equivalent certification, as stated in art. 2 of this announcement.
Attachment 3: Curriculum vitae et studiorum in English.
Attachment 4: A copy of the degree dissertation. Students, who expect to complete their degree within the 14th of October 2011, are asked to send it within the 17th of October 2011 in order not to be excluded.
Attachment 5: a summary of the dissertation explaining reasons for the choice of the subject, and showing the results obtained.
Attachment 6: a brief motivation letter (3000 characters maximum, including spaces) describing the applicant’s research interests in Mathematic’s field. If candidate chooses to be evaluated for the topic-specific grant, motivation letter should declare the reasons why candidate declares to want to compete for.
Please note that applicants holding a foreign degree not officially recognized as equivalent to the Italian “laurea”, must include in their application the English translation of the degree certificate (if in a different language) with exams taken, grades obtained (Grade Transcript) signed under their own responsibility, to enable the Graduate School Committee to declare its equivalence, valid solely for the purpose of admission to the selection process.
APPLICATION CAN INCLUDE:
– copies of publications, if any;
– any other qualifications such as international examinations (GRE or equivalent);
– any other documents attesting to the research skills and abilities of the candidate;
– two reference letters1 in English or Italian from experts in the doctoral research areas of Universities or National or International Research Institutes. The letters must be headed to Prof. Alberto Valli, Doctoral School of Mathematics, University of Trento, Via Verdi 8/10 – I-38122 Trento (Italy) and should preferably address the following questions:
1. How long does the referee know the candidate.
2. In what capacity does the referee know the candidate.
3. Which are the applicant’s major strengths/weaknesses
4. Referee should describe the quality of the applicant’s contributions in a group/team environment (professional or classroom).
The letters must be sent by the referees using one of the following ways:
– by email to firstname.lastname@example.org. Referees must indicate in the email object: “Letter of Reference for CANDIDATE’S LAST NAME/NAME, PhD Mathematics2”;
– by fax to the School of Mathematics number +39 0461 281624.
Should applicants wish to add documents after their application was sent, the material must reach the University by the 30th of September 2011 by using one of the ways indicted in Art 4 b) and c) of this Announcement. The applicant’s name, Doctoral School in Mathematics 27th cycle, and the subject (“Integrazione domanda”) must be clearly printed or written on any envelope sent to the University.
For more information, please visit official website: www4.unitn.it